Book Title: Online and Social Networking Communities: A Best Practice Guide for Educators (Open and Flexible Learning Series)
Release Date: 2010-12-09
Author: Karen Kear
Online and Social Networking Communities is a professional guide written for educational practitioners and trainers who wish to use online communication tools effectively in their teaching. Focusing on the student experience of learning in online communities, it addresses ‘web 2.0’ and other ‘social software’ tools and considers the role these technologies play in supporting student learning and building learning communities.
The guide offers:
- real-world case studies and quality research
- must-have lists of useful resources
- guidance on building and supporting online learning communities
- discussion of how collaborative learning can be assessed
- coverage of wikis, forums, blogging, instant messaging, Second Life, Twitter, desktop videoconferencing and social networking sites such as Facebook.
Online and Social Networking Communities helps educators and trainers develop a critical approach by exploring online learning from both the student’s and educator’s perspective. This practical guide provides the tools to help develop confident and thoughtful online educators, able to create successful and enjoyable learning experiences for their students.